Wednesday, November 3, 2010

How do you like them apples?

Staring at the leftover brown sugar in my cupboard for several weeks inspired me to bake a few apples.


I looked up a recipe on AllRecipes.com to see what we were up against, and was surprised to see that it really isn't that hard. I just glanced at one of the easy looking recipes and don't even remember which one.

What I used:
A rectangular ceramic baking dish
Apples (I'm sure it's possible to do this with any size, but the larger the better)
Brown sugar
Walnuts
Cranberries

The first step is to core the apples. I don't have a corer so I hacked away with a regular chopping knife. Not ideal, but it worked just fine.


Next, I mixed together the brown sugar, cranberries, and walnuts. Some of the recipes call for nutmeg and orange peel, and most list raisins instead of cranberries, but college cooking is all about using whatever's on hand, and those three items were what I had.



I didn't even keep track of amounts. I had about 11 apples and I used all of them. I also used up all of my brown sugar and that was about half a bag. For the other things, I just stirred together a dry mixture that I thought looked good. I placed the apples in my ceramic cooking dish and packed them as tightly as possible with the dry mixture.



The recipe that I was working off of says that you should boil a pot of water on the stove while prepping the apples. I did that and then poured about a half an inch of boiling water into the pan.

The idea behind the water is that it keeps the apples from drying out while they bake for about 30 minutes, and that sometime around the halfway mark you should use the liquid to baste the apples.

{Whoa, hold up! I just used the word 'baste'. You'd think this was a 100 level class or something. As I understand it, basting is when you cook something in juice or sauce and dribble that same sauce on the food item before/during/after the cooking process. You can get fancy basting brushes, but I just used a spoon to dribble the sugary hot water over the apples after 15 minutes in the oven and then again when I took them out at the end.}

I only used the 30-35 minutes as a guide, and took them out when the apples were soft and I could easily slip a fork into each one (and when I was hungry and had lost interest in staring at the oven). They were very good!

No comments:

Post a Comment